View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
chrisreedrules
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: CRJ FO

1. I'm already serious about good grades but which subjects should i work extra hard in?
Do well in math. Stay above a 3.0 GPA.

2. What is the best route to take after getting my high school diploma and what to major in. Aviation science in college? Or major in anything and go to flight school after? Or apply for Air Force and get everything at once?
I paid for all of my flight training out of pocket. Came out to around $60,000. My biggest recommendation is to get your training and get it in such a way that leaves you with little to no debt. I would also think about keeping those grades high and start learning about how to go to the USAF Academy or the Naval Academy. The military will pay for you to get a top-notch education and you can have the opportunity to get in an airplane and have your training paid for

3. What are some of your favorite things of the job?
I love to travel. I started touring in bands from the age of 16, worked a job that allowed me to work in different locations around the country from the age of 19 until about a year ago, and now I get to travel occasionally minus all the driving. I'm a vagabond at heart I guess. I also love meeting and interacting with new people. Fresh faces every day keep things interesting. And this is the first career I've found where I can be around other highly-motivated goal-oriented people like myself. It is refreshing.

4. Do you get healthcare benefits and discounts on flying?
I don't have healthcare but I don't work for an airline or a full-time charter job. There are many rewarding facets to aviation besides airlines and charter.

5. What is your personal favorite airline to work for?
see above

6. Is it a really stressful job?
It can be. But flying makes it all worth it. You get to see and experience things others can only dream about

7. About how much do you invest in becoming a pilot?
$60,000

8. Do you get to spend time with family and doing other hobbies?
Yes. But as has been stated before, time management is key. It isn't always easy if you want to have a family. It is up to you to decide where your priorities lie.