View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 PM
BenS
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012

1. I'm already serious about good grades but which subjects should i work extra hard in?
Common theme, but I'll repeat- good grades are what's important. Really working hard and earning scholarships to go to college will go a long way for you.

2. What is the best route to take after getting my high school diploma and what to major in. Aviation science in college? Or major in anything and go to flight school after? Or apply for Air Force and get everything at once?
I personally enrolled in UVU online and got a bachelor of science in aviation. Military is an option, but I have met people who enlisted to fly only to be placed in the drone program, so just make sure you choose a path that will have you flying airplanes. I am glad that I got my degree in aviation, it worked quite well for me. Some will say get a degree in anything buy aviation so that you have a plan b. I get the idea, if I lost my medical tomorrow I'd have no clue what I could do for a career, but to spend 4 years working toward a degree you don't want to use seems like a waste to me. see also my post in: http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ca...al-advice.html

3. What are some of your favorite things of the job?
Landings, I do enjoy landing an airplane every day.. Even if it's a Cessna or a jet.. Always fun.

4. Do you get healthcare benefits and discounts on flying?
I do get healthcare at my regional. But like the rest of the nation, who knows where healthcare will go in this industry. I get to fly for free anywhere for my flight benefits, my parents get big discounts when they fly. Flight benefits are probably the biggest perk to being a regional pilot.

5. What is your personal favorite airline to work for?
The one who signs my paycheck... Just kidding. I know we all got into this industry planning to work for one airline or another, but the scene here always changes. Anything that is the best to work for today might be bankrupt by the time you graduate. So just go into this adventure with a very open mind and take the best offers that come your way.

6. Is it a really stressful job?
I've worked for worse.. It's not the Hollywood style fight to stay alive every day, but the job has its moments. Really the paperwork and making sure everything is legal to fly always seems like more work than the actual flying itself.

7. About how much do you invest in becoming a pilot?
College degree and training, out about $75,000...

8. Do you get to spend time with family and doing other hobbies?
Well, I live in Las Vegas and my pilot base is in North Dakota so though every weekend is a 3 day weekend, I spend two of them getting to and fro.. But I'm working toward getting a better lifestyle. And hobbies, I get to golf and stuff occasionally, but nothing too much...

It is good you're planning early and aviation sure has a lot to offer. But stick to it and work hard and before you know it you could be working as a first officer for a regional airline in no time.