View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by FishinandFlyin View Post
I know you guys get lots of stuff like this but I'm going into the 8th grade and have loved aircraft and flying all of my life. It hit me that why don't I become a pilot! I would get paid to do one of the things i love. I have some questions and would greatly appreciate it if some of you could answer it.
1. I'm already serious about good grades but which subjects should i work extra hard in?
2. What is the best route to take after getting my high school diploma and what to major in. Aviation science in college? Or major in anything and go to flight school after? Or apply for Air Force and get everything at once?
3. What are some of your favorite things of the job?
4. Do you get healthcare benefits and discounts on flying?
5. What is your personal favorite airline to work for?
6. Is it a really stressful job?
7. About how much do you invest in becoming a pilot?
8. Do you get to spend time with family and doing other hobbies?
I'm sorry I asked so many questions, but I would love for some answers. Thank you.
FishinandFlying:

Although I'm not a licensed pilot yet....I couldn't help but offer you some advice. I can remember being at the age you are now and had some of the same questions.

1. Just as someone else mentioned, as far as academics go, do well in Math, Physics, and English.

2. Try to be and stay in reasonably good health.

3. Don't get full of pride, among other things...LOL...thinking you're God's gift to aviation. You may not fully understand what I'm saying now, however you seem to be a pretty bright young man. Understanding will come. Oh, and btw, stay outta trouble and avoid brushes with the law. They can come back to haunt you.

4. Major in something other than aviation. My reason for saying that is because although I attended & finished from ERAU. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to go. I finished in 1987. The entire cost of my college education (BS Aeronautical Studies w/AOC in Air Transportation Mgmt) was less than $25K. That included tuition, books, and room & board. The same degree program with room & board will cost you 165K. So give some thought to accounting, finance, hospitality mgmt, engineering, etc.

5. Research, research, research. Did I mention to do your research on the company (Part 91, 121, 135) that you wish to work for.

6. Network, network, network. Did I mention that you should network as much as you can. "Thousand mile journey start with first step". It's never to early.

7. Enjoy the journey!

Hope this helps. All the best.

atp