View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 07:15 AM
B757200ER
AAmerican Way for AA Pay

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B-737 Pilot

Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
LCCs have helped pilots who didn't want to fly at a regional for substandard pay, benefits and quality of life (entities created by the majors and fostered by ALPAs refusal to insist that regional pilots be covered by mainline contracts) neither did they wish to languish at the bottom of a massive seniority list with the prospects of furlough, reserve duty, and unpopular base assignments for years.

LCCs have offered an opportunity for pilots to take a chance on a startup with the risk that entails exactly as Southwest, FedEx, and other pilots did a generation ago.

As another post stated, my airline hasn't outsourced flying, created an alter ego, or used multiple feeders to whipsaw pilot groups.

Lastly, two years ago the pilots at my LCC struck successfully on our behalf and yours to make this profession better.
All good points; good post. I really think VX is a good airline with a good
product, but it is growing too fast---and too large. The other Virgin companies---VirginAtlantic, VirginAustrailia (prior to Blue merger), VirginExpress---all have between 40-50 aircraft. VX is going to have 75-100 aircraft in the coming years, and will continue to bleed cash, due to the enormous cost of that growth. If they stopped at 45-50 jets, I truly believe it will be successful and make a profit. They can't overtake UNICAL.