View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 PM
KillingMeSmalls
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
Had USAir been allowed to liquidate when they should have been, and the precident set that any other would be allowed to follow suit, the industry would have corrected itself without nearly as big a hit to labor and the surviving airlines would have been in a far superior position to fend off the cancerous supernova growth of JetBlue and AirTran. Now here we are, all draged down to the lowest common denominator (I think it was an AA exec that said the industry is only as smart as it's dumbest competitor), the pensions are gone anyway, most Captains make previous FO pay adjusted for inflation and USAir Captains make current FO pay anyway.
Why do people always say "lowest common denominator" on these threads? In my experience it's a phrase rednecks use to look smarter. I make grammar/spelling mistakes all the time, but things like this just make me cringe.

The lowest common denominator when you're adding 1/4 and 1/3 is 12. What the hell does that have to do with our industry?

Maybe people use it just because it has the word "lowest" in it and it sounds fancy.