Old 08-25-2012, 07:03 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by subicpilot View Post

Been here over 16 years and heard all the excuses why people do it. So far, I have never heard an explanation where I thought, "Wow, good answer...I'd hide my calendar too, if I were in your shoes." Nope. Every time someone tries to explain why they do it, I walk away with the same feeling...it's a cowardly and ineffective way to try to hide inappropriate activity, and it seems to be proliferating. I'd like to know if anyone can give a good reason for it.

Recently, a pilot whose calendar looked like one continuous blue line went from

Allow other pilots to view your calendar? Yes

to

Allow other pilots to view your calendar? No

I guess he got tired of answering questions about what he was thinking.

Is he now hiding embarassing behavior? I don't know. Maybe he's just saving time by avoiding conversations with his concerned peers. He's too busy flying trips to talk about it? I'm wondering when he'll keel over from fatigue. I know I could not personally work every single day of a 5-week bid month, plus a week of carryover into the next month. Yes, I said every single day.

He's "blocking" his calendar, but that doesn't keep people from knowing what he's doing? No. All that selection does is control access to that one screen in VIPS. If an ex-wife wants to know, blocking that screen won't stop her.

Back to the original question: Any good reasons?

In my mind, it serves a useful purpose -- it helps me identify who's really on our team, those we could consider loyal, those whom we can trust. That gets a little tricky, and you can't just look at the Non-Members list for a simple answer. There are scabs who are Members, and there are Non-Members who would likely be staunch supporters of legal withholding of services. Actions speak louder than words or labels, and when people start trying to hide what they're doing, their actions speak volumes.