Thread: Erau
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
ImperialxRat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Ok, not sure how long I just spent reading all these arguments, however I now have to add my $0.02.

I went to Riddle, Prescott Campus. Before that I went to Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa CA. Just wanted to say that, for those of you who dont know what OCC is, it is probably one of the largest junior college in the US. When I went there it was something like 40,000 new students year signing up. (and most people never leave). It literally was like being at the LAX terminal. you never see the same people everday, except the people in your class. Just giving that info so you know I've sipped other kool-aid

Going to ERAU was a blast...very fun college experience. I loved the people I went with, and have lifelong friends because of it.

However, that would have happened no matter where I went. Im just trying to say, that even though it was ERAU, we still got the college experience. parties, drinking, bars, friends, girls (the few)....we get the college experience.

Do I wish I went somewhere different....yes. Im up to my ears in debt, and to be honest, I dont feel like the classes we took were absolutely necessary at all. Sure, advanced nav was a fun class...i got to learn how to navigate across the pond. Is it useful or realistic for that particular time in my life? Hell no. I still havent used that knowledge yet.... Performance...a good class, but you really will learn it all very well in ground school. Turbine engines?...I havent flown a turbine yet...its nice to know how they work, but the class was kind of a waste. Aerodynamics and Adv Aero were good classes....nice to take as an elective. Flight Phys was way more in-depth than the AIM...also a good elective.

I guess what I'm saying is that most the classes were not necessary. They're teaching you stuff that you wont use after college. You'll use it once your taught it at your new employer, down the road. Their weather classes are great.

All of the professors are extremely knowledgable. Excellent teachers. Other majors such as Aviation Law, Saftey, GSIS (Global security and intelligent studies), Engineering, etc are all great majors. Aero Science was fun...but worthless.

I wish I went to a state school, and got my training at an FBO. However if I did that I wouldnt have met the people I met, or experienced what I experienced. So when people ask me if I could go back, would I do the same thing...I honestly dont know.

The flight training was more expensive than it needed to be, all so I could fly with nice avionics. I've done just fine flying my last 800 hours with simply a 6 pack and a Garmin 196 moving map.

Dunno, this has become a longer post than I meant it to be. I liked the school, liked the environment and atmosphere, liked the attitude and people. I hated the management (sounds familiar). They charged my $500 because I wanted to move out of the dorms early. They will charge you for EVERYTHING. I never took the SAT's or ACT. I didn't apply to any other school besides ERAU. They literally will take anyone.

My first semester one of my suite mates was extremely dumb. Didn't even want to go to riddle, but they offered him a full ride with a wrestling scholarship. I was like...wtf.

k, rant over.