View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 AM
pilotgolfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: A320 Captain
Default Airlines and Unemployment Insurance

I put this in the Majors section because so many people have been through this in the past...

I worked for a 121 Company who is Headquartered in Florida. They have crew bases in Florida, New Jersey, and Louisiana. The company recently laid off a large number of crew members. Those of us that were based in New Jersey have had problems filing for unemployment. The state of New Jersey does not show any of our income earned in the state. They say the computer records indicate all the income was earned in the state of Florida.

I've been through this ordeal a few times in the past concerning collecting unemployment. In the previous cases, I always was paid unemployment in the state where I was domiciled. The company that let us go is claiming they are a Florida based company and since we got our "daily directions and orders" from Florida that they were not required to pay the NJ unemployment taxes. I've spoke with an IRS agent and I'm waiting for a call back from the State of NJ unemployment office.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? The max weekly benefit in Florida is $275 while it is $600 in New Jersey. There are about 30 of us from this domicile that are affected by this and I'd like to collect some info to help things along.

Thank you for any input.