Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Pain
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Actually, not really.. As far as similarities go. The Railway Labor Act changes the whole game. With the 3 members of the NMB appointed by the President of the US, it is highly unlikely that any large airline group will be *allowed* to strike. In an election year? My opinion is that it is virtually impossible.

Now, I think that this is completely wrong, but I am guessing that a very high court would have to declare it illegal or unconstitutional before it changes.

Airline strikes would represent a poor reflection on the US economy, which equals bad press for the President, who has *direct control* over the process if he wants to use it.

I am just curious, but what do all you guys think? I think that an airline like, say, Spirit would be allowed to strike, but AA? I don't think so.

(Just to be clear, before anybody starts hating me: yes, I think you guys should absolutely strike, if the labor practices of management are unfair or even just unacceptable. I think it is a crime that the Executive branch of the government takes away *any* negotiation tool, especially the one that actually worries airline management!)