View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 PM
frozenboxhauler
Nice lookin' tree, there!

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: MD-11, old man

Originally Posted by MEM_ATC View Post
I worked the midnight shift last night at MEM during the FDX inbound/outbound, and I have a few questions about tailwind and crosswind components.

Here's the scenario: MEM was landing to the north, using RWY 36L and 36R. The surface wind is 090/08, so we were also using RWY 09 instead of RWY 27. The very first aircraft that checks in on the Tower frequency states that there is a "... direct 30 knot crosswind component from 2,000 feet down to 300 feet, then 12 knots direct all the way down to touchdown." I issue the PIREP to the next couple of aircraft, and am informed that it's actually a tailwind all the way down to 300 feet.

Replys from pilots receiving this PIREP were: "Oh God...", "Oh Lord", "That sounds like fun", "Oh geez", "What?", and other words and phrases indicating that the approach and landing were going to be very interesting.

We had several aircraft elect to go-around and try again; some aircraft rolled all the way to the end and were not able to turn off where we would normally expect; the long rollers caused at least one go around; and the requirement to issue these wind conditions to each arrival was simply excruciating and time consuming.

So... how do you folks feel about a 30+ knot tailwind that changes to a 30+ knot direct crosswind as you descend down to 300 feet, and then slowly changes to 12 knots all the way down to touchdown?

How "safe" is it to fly an approach under these type of conditions?

How difficult is it to fly an approach under these type of wind conditions?

Is this something that is fun and offers you an opportunity to display your skill, or is it something that you'd rather not be bothered with?

What is your company policy on these type of conditions?

What else should ATC know about your crosswind/tailwind concerns?

Does some guy in a suit at FDX mandate that you WILL land north under these conditions in order to save the company money?

Thanks,

MEM_ATC
The first thing I would have told you is that I need RW27 or the north/south flow ( don't mind). Next thing, after that was denied, would be a clearance to my alternate. I used to like to play, but now I'm an old man who just wants to get to the end of the pairing without getting killed or violated.
By accepting a 12kt tail wind (when our Co. limit is 10kts) you get to eat popcorn for an extra 2 minutes? My question to you is why haven't you changed flows upon recipt of the pilot report? Does "some guy in a suit" in the TRACON/TOWER decide you're gonna run operations with a 12kt tail wind?
I don't understand the pilot/controller mind set that you are relaying in this post.
Cheers,
fbh
Anchorage Based

Last edited by frozenboxhauler; 02-28-2007 at 11:15 PM.