View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM
TI 3VOM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2010

First, are you able to relocate to do the training? or are you going to do it on the side while you work full time at your current job?

There are very few loans available for flight training now. Back in 2007, there were at least 10, now I know of only 1 or 2 that will finance flight training without being enrolled in a college degree program. The issue with this is there are only a few schools that are able to offer these loans since they have a reputation with the bank. If you are able to relocate, you can try looking into Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon. They offer a Wells Fargo loan for flight training.

Depending on where you do your flight training, you may just have to qualify for a normal personal loan and use that for flight training, but I would suspect you would have to have excellent credit, a good source income, and possibly even a co-signer to get enough to cover all the flight training costs. Personally, I would not recommend this route as it will likely have higher interest.

And as RickAir said, NEVER pay a large sum up front for flight training. I have seen many students lose all their money when the schools took large 'deposits' upfront then closed their doors. I know a guy who lost $40K in a night because of this.