View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 PM
afterburn81
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: A320

Might I clarify that I really don't care if you hate on LW or not. It doesn't matter to me actually. I'm only trying to get some info on some realistic problems. Some people tend to beat around the bush and or comment on things that might be somewhat not well thought up. That's all.

Some are commenting on the older PNT bags being premium and such. That's not the premium that I'm talking about though. When I mention premium I'm talking about a bag that performs exactly the way you want. No problems, and some fancy schmancy stuff too. A custom more practical design geared towards the user instead of a generic design. All this of course will be at a premium price. If you went to a luggage store and asked about their premium bag selection they would start you off in the $1000 range. $300 for a bag is actually pretty cheap. If you are into Costco and lower end things that rely on warranty only and sell the product at a loss just to get you as a loyal customer well this discussion really doesn't apply. Nothing personal but it's just not your style.

At the moment I handle over 150 LW bags a month from pilots all over the east cost. I repair an refurbish these bags. Some people think these bags are junk, some see them as nothing else compares. I find it interesting though how two pilots working for the same company can have the same exact bag for the same amount of time yet they come to me in completely different states of condition. It's all in how you take care of it. Doesn't matter who makes the bag.

I have had my LW NG for 6 years now and have never had to fix a zipper or repair anything on the fabric. I'm mean honestly all I have done is replace the wheels, foam grip and the j-hook. And it's still in great condition. I work for a regional and put it to the test. But I also treat it like a $300 bag. Not a $700 that was designed 100% to take the abuse.

There is nothing that can withstand constant abrasion and impact. Nothing economical that is. And there is no reason to expose your bag to that kind of abuse. If that is what you intend to do then yes I totally agree the cheaper low-end product is a better route. Especially if it has a life-time warranty.