View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Deuce130
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 777 FO

Originally Posted by L'il J.Seinfeld
ALPA and the IPA are at opposite ends of the union spectrum in terms of effectiveness, integrity, and goals. We are united and just because you don't hear about issues on this board or FI does not mean they are not being discussed. China is the ticket for my professional security and my children's future. After the 08 Olympics thier economy will really start to take off and it is foreseeable for UPS to double profits in 5-10 years. We could double our pilot force in 5-7 years based on China/India growth alone. Scope is the #1 issue and the retirement issue is not even a close second.

I'm a newhire at FDX and, as such, a newbie ALPA member. In my former life, AD AF, I didn't give one rats a** about unions or labor. I now pay attention and I learn more every day, though I admit that I don't know nearly enough. BUT, how can you say ALPA and IPA are at the opposite ends effectiveness, integrity, and goals? I know ALPA takes alot of shots and lots of folks hate them passionately, but as far as I know, FDX ALPA and the IPA have very similar goals (scope, retirement, pay), integrity (similar type people get hired at both companies), and effectiveness (neither company has a contract yet). I'd have to say that we should let the results speak for themselves, which, so far, have been nil. We can debate the effectiveness of the two AFTER we're both sitting on fat new contracts.