View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 AM
BP1122
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2012

Originally Posted by chrisreedrules View Post
I think the real problem they are going to have is getting pilots to the ATP mins. As I stated in a previous post, all the jobs that low-timers would normally work at to build time just aren't hiring low-timers anymore. And most flight schools either aren't busy or already have a stack of well-qualified CFI applicants sitting on the chief's desk. I think the "shortage", at least at the regional level, will be much worse than many are anticipating. Its hard to sell a "zero to hero" program to a kid with SJS when you explain to them that they are going to spend minimum 1 year instructing just to hopefully meet ATP mins. Not the 400 to 700 as was previously being accepted by a lot of regionals. And then when you have instructed for that long and gotten a "feel" for the industry, why would you want to take a pay-cut and go slug it out at the regionals with a worse QOL? Most of the qualified instructors I know now (admittedly a few) are steering well-clear of regionals and looking for the elusive 91 corporate gigs or 135 citation jobs. I think the regionals are in more trouble than they think.
I am an instructor at a small part 91 flight school, that is luckily very busy, and have tried to avoid going the regional route because of the drop in QOL that my wife and I would experience. The regionals now are in a tricky place. Seems like one day they are hiring, and the next they are furloughing folks. Not worth the risk to me, but would love to fly for an airline if it wasn't for all that!