View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM
liquid
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Originally Posted by oldmako View Post
Liquid,

While I will allow this his summation was harsh and lacked diplomacy, it was his opinion of the difference between the OLD United, and CAL. Your response is exactly what Glen Tilton used to say when we pointed out how UAL had slipped under his watch. The GOAL ought to be to improve working conditions and to improve the contract, not learn how to toil under a substandard one. So before you chastise him for his opinion, realize that he's using a different yardstick than you are. "Why don't you quit" is a knee jerk response, but a jerky response.

We have plenty of guys at sUAL who are a pain in the rear to fly with and tote El Heffes water. They're the same guys who did so under previous sUAL CEOs. This week I boarded a stifling hot 757 with a perfectly operable APU. Well my, didn't we save some gas! Never mind that the pax were all looking at one another with the big Whisky Tango Fox expression. This captain doesn't have UAL "culture" and is Jeffs type of guy. They're the guys who fly junk, wait for the van, accept wholesale changes to SOP with zero training, pop the brake early, and generally allow our contract, to be trampled by the company. Give UAL an inch every day, and they will take a mile over time.

Prior to UAL, I was a long time commuter puke. As a new hire on IOE I was astonished at how GREAT I was treated at UAL. During breakfast the Captain was good-naturedly complaining about his meal. It was amazing compared to what I was used to and I thought he was nuts. He caught me looking at him with amazement and said to me, "I know what you're thinking! But, the day you stop complaining is the day they start taking stuff away!"

How right he was. Probably some of the best advice I got on IOE. WE MUST not allow them to run roughshod over us. Our culture is worth fighting for and 47dog is doing so.

James is proud.
Mako,

Thank you for a level headed response. I know it's passé and cool to come on here and completely and utterly trash CAL. Any idea how old it gets? How many posts are there trashing the UAL pilots directly? One of your own: "They manage by force here and they hire weak personalities on the Cal side that will take the beatings." or " I don't go out with any CAL crew members , because I don't trust them." or " I actually feel sorry fir them, cause its a crap hole." I read the other UAL board, it's the same rhetoric over and over.

To say we have vast cultural differences is a huge understatement. The CAL contract is defended everyday by hard working people in the CALMEC, the contract sucks I fully agree. If 47 is truly unhappy, taking it out on the CAL pilots is inappropriate and he IS free to leave. He won't be quiting UAL and he can come back to greener pastures in the future.

liquid