View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Caelum Deus
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: BE 90 F.O. / Asst. Chief Flight Instructor
Default Thoughts about the changes in aviation

From everything I've seen in the last 10 years (and mostly in the last 2-3 years) of flying, I'm under the assumption that the QOL is going to get really good for us pilots. Here's why.

1) The massive amounts of pilots who will retire will cause a huge pilot shortage, which will end up allowing higher paying jobs to be accessed by lower qualified people.
2) Because of the mortgage/economic crisis that happened a few years back, there has been a significant shortage in the amount of people getting into flight training, producing a lack of supply for the airliners soon-to-be high demand for pilots.
3) The ATP entry requirement which will put a devastating grip on the ability for majors/regionals to hire pilots, furthering increasing airline demand.
4) And the increased rest requirement which will demand the airlines to hire about 20% more pilots to fill the space, even further increasing the demand for pilots. (sorry cargo guys :-))

With all this being said, I have no idea why there would be any reason that us pilots won't be treated like kings once again.

Please share your thoughts about what other factors could help or hurt the upcoming pilot hiring movement.