Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
pilot141
Avoiding Memphis

Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: Intl Feeder Jet

How about the big "F" word - Fatigue.

After the AA MD-80 accident in Little Rock and the subsequent investigation flight crews got the famous "Whitlow interpretation" regarding fatigue. (Basically a look-back provision).

Most guys are hesitant to actually make the call, but if you just can't get the rest (noisy hotel room, swapping from day to night and back) then you NEED to say you are fatigued. If you "gut it out" you are only placing yourself and your fellow crewmembers at risk.

It has to be the same with a controller. I don't want to fly with someone who is falling asleep at the controls, and I don't want to be vectored by a controller who is fighting to stay awake. I know you are at the mercy of the schedule, but I think the NTSB would be interested in the fatigue level of controllers on that last night of work.

People had to die before the FAA took pilot domestic rest limits seriously; do we have to have people die before they treat controllers the same way?

Keep up the good fight MEM_ATC; I just hope that someone wakes up to what is going on before we bend some metal or hurt people.