Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Kenny Powers
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: Employed
Default Advice for escaping 135 charter to 121 major

OK, here's the scenario...

27 years old, current Part 135 light jet captain. Around 3000 TT, with 800 TPIC. I have pure 91/135 experience, with a stint at a Part 135 scheduled passenger carrier.

My current gig offers great pay and benefits, however QOL is poor and I'm looking at the bigger picture, long-term outlook, i.e., having a predictable schedule (this is HUGE for me). Having 13 "hard" days off a quarter just isn't going to do it in the future, especially if I'd like to settle down in the next 5 years.

I'm willing to take a financial hit short-term in hopes to better myself long-term.

What are the odds of someone with my experience getting a shot at United, Delta, SWA, etc. It seems like the market is saturated with current 121 regional, 121 ACMI, and 121 national guys that are just chomping at the bit, probably far more qualified (at least on paper, you can teach a monkey to fly right? ) for those coveted jobs than myself.

How do I make myself stand-out? Make a move to one of said carriers above? I feel like I'd be giving up valuable jet PIC, however.

The only silver-lining is a former boss of mine/current mentor is a retired Delta CP who still has ties with the company. He has told me once hiring starts, he's pretty sure he can get me an interview. It seems hard to believe, but I also don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

I feel like I can make a good impression on the interview team, the trick is just getting called.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.