View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Bascuela
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: UAL 756 FO

Originally Posted by SongMan View Post
Hi,

I have 3000+ hours in single engine Cessna/piper mostly instructing. However I only have 12 hours of Multi time in Seminole. Airline such as Skywest requires min of 100 ME time.

1. Is purchasing multi time and splitting with a safety pilot looked down upon by company like Skywest?

2. If I do buy needed 88 hours of ME time to meet 100 Total ME time, I would have 3000 hours with 100 multi. How competitive would this experience be with other applicants to Skywest these days? I know everything in a risk and time to time basis. However I would hate to spend $8000 plus dollars to meet the requirement knowing that my chances are slim to none if all other applicants are exceeding minimums by far.

3. Am I just better off going to a company like Ameriflight for a year and then apply for Skywest?

Thank you very much!
Songman,
I was in a similar situation about 6 years ago with applying to SkyWest about my multi engine time. You said you’re a flight instructor. Are you an MEI? You’re best choice with the options you put out is to buy a block of time. With an MEI you can log all of that time with splitting the cost and not doing the whole safety pilot thing. Either you’re flying or you’re instructing. Regardless, you can log all of it helping your cause vs. dollar. If you’re not an MEI yet, go for it man! Buckle down and commit. Get your MEI and get the time as fast as you can which may or may not be flight instructing legitimate multi engine applicants.