View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM
GW258
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Hawker Driver View Post
My colleague was former Eastern Airlines then US Air. After 18 years with US Air, and two furloughs, he had actually flown just 5. Yeah, the other 13 years were on furlough!

Later, when the merger occurred between America West and US Air, he simply could not reconcile to himself both the job insecurity up to that point and how the mediator had ruled. When the call came to come back after the second furlough, he retired instead.

Except for very senior US Air guys who operated equipment "Cactus" didn't operate at that time, the rest of the guys like him fell junior to the most junior America West fellows.

I'm just a corporate peon on the outside looking in. But, it just seems inconceivable to me how much older USAir guys, with not many years left, could be passed over en masse and the decision by the mediator be considered fair. I'm missing a whole lot of details here, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Thanks.

You are correct in your observation.

Every airline pilot employed with a significant/established operation should be concerned with the NIC and the possibility it could set a standard in senority dispute resolution.

I think the Airways east pilots deserve credit for thier fight against the injustice of the NIC.