Thread: Tipping
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 PM
HIFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
This issue is like beating a dead horse. People who don't want to tip will have 100 reasons not to tip even if like the poster quoted above doesn't realize that the company IS reimbursing him for tipping through the per diem (also known as M&IE). I'm sorry if you find it inadequate per diem.
Also FBK, at least when I was a van driver I made much less than minimum wage, and like a waitress, I depended on my good service and on time performance to EARN those tips. Taking a patron out to eat was against the rules btw, but I fudged them especially for the airline crews who stayed at our hotel.

FBK - I see in a later post that you tip servers and bartenders, and having been one yourself you say, you sometimes tip 50%!!! Can you explain the difference in attitude you have between servers and van drivers, or does it make a difference if you are eating or drinking at the hotel's restaurant and bar?

Tipping is out of control, I agree, but at least we ought to be correct in our motives if you decide against it.

USMCFLYR
Are you saying that hotel drivers and maids do not make at least minimum wage unlike waiters?