Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
80ktsClamp
Da Hudge

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer

Originally Posted by jackie moon View Post
I've seen the other side of this. I've had over eager new fo's on my legs ask over and over again if I'm going to call for a checklist before its time for that checklist. If I've forgotten it's one thing but reminding me before its time gets old fast
So have I, and I speak from that experience. If the guy is doing it over and over again- ask them why and pull out the book and show them what the trigger is for that checklist. Many times there is flexibility in the timing of the checklist, but if they keep doing so, ask them to wait for your prompt unless you've clearly forgotten it. There have only been a couple times in my career that I've had to really get on to people. There is just not a need for aggression/lecturing in 99.999% of situations.

We are programmed to try to do right as a general population. If they are doing something repeatedly wrong, show them where it says it.

One thing off the top of my head I used to deal with routinely was FO's not having the checklist out when they called it out (because other "laid back" captains did the same thing). Just a quick "at least make me think you're reading it" solved that every time. Laid back doesn't mean lazy and careless!