View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Grande52
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: EMJ-145 FO

I took 10 years off from flying after I left the Air Force. I decided to get back into flying last year. Had my first flight on November 19, 2011. Took an ATP MEL checkride on Dec 22, 2011. And then busted the ATP SEL check the next day, just made a stupid mistake and I have been asked why I took an ATP SEL check in the first place. Retook the check in January and passed. The plan was to fly with Civil Air Patrol in a 172 and build up some time and get some much needed instruction or supervision while I knocked the rust off, which I did. Fast forward to Oct 22, 2012 had an interview with American Eagle and I have a class date of Nov 12, 2012. So within a year after taking a 10 year break and a busted check, I have gotten hired and I am very excited. I didn't realize how much I missed flying. I can attest waiting around to fly is much better than doing inspections and audits and FMEA's in a manufacturing facility. I guess what I am saying is that your scenario is not uncommon and with a little planning and finding the right people you can get ready fairly quick. I used the civil air patrol resource, flying was a lot cheaper and you do not have to pay the instructors. We have an old timer who is a blast to fly with and loves to instruct and I think he was happier than I was when I got the offer to AE. So I say go for it. Going back and doing the ATP route was the right decision for me and it has already paid huge dividends. If you have any questions PM me. Oh yea when I started back flying I took a 25 hour ATP course in Mississippi and I went there with zero prop time except for about 10 hours of T-41 training in the USAF.