View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Std Deviation
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Square root of the variance and average of the variation

Originally Posted by Fourpaw View Post
Where does the line get drawn for needing to have additional insurance on the airplane? I do know that I will upgrade my personal CFI insurance, but that is no big deal.

Thanks!
The line gets drawn at non-owned training. My wife can get added to our 172 as a student pilot fairly cheaply because she's an owner . Once you have someone paying for/receiving training that's not an owner you're a flight school. You will get a break on insurance if you're not doing primary - i.e soloing students.

The other thing is if he's "renting" the AC to a non owner for you to provide training (and receive compensation) the aircraft will need 100 HR inspections in addition to the annual - which he currently does not need even as a student pilot. You usually have an open pilot clause on any insurance policy; however, it typically does not apply to student pilots and sometimes excludes training. Best thing is contact the agent and get their perspective. Classifying it as a flying club will also get a better rate but there's usually a max number of pilots - i.e. if you're doing 20 ratings a year you're a school.

You need a clear understanding of the business relationship between the owner and the other pilots.