Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

Originally Posted by ForeverFO View Post
TOTD: Anybody who verbalizes every single switch actuation they do. With the rare exception of those that require verbalizing, just DO it, don't tell me about it. I'm not blind.

"Window heat is now... <click> ON."

Or they talk their way through an approach.

"I'm going vert speed... LOC is armed (no kidding, I can see you do both), LOC is alive, capture, GS armed. GS alive, capture, here we go..." All on a visual approach where you can see the runway 25 miles away.

I want to start making "Shhh. Shhhhh, it'll be all right" noises.

This has probably already been nominated. If so, I'm the tool for repeating it, but it's driving me nuts.

While I do agree with your view, vebalizing has now worked it's way into SOP... PITA, yes, but now they want you to verbalize all changes to the Flight mode annunciator, at least where I work.

Now...what about the Tool Capt, who has to touch every single switch while the F/O reads the before start ckecklist? He's not moving the switch mind you, everything is done, but his hand is up on the overhead touching every switch, as the F/O reads the list...oh, and really I love it when he slams his hand down on the throttles (thrust levers) and shouts: "Idle"!

Brilliant! You sure showed them who's boss! I'm waiting for the day the knobs just snap off!

I jumpseat to/from work, so I get to see this once in a while, luckily not too often, but still...give it a rest man! Can you not just use your eyeballs to see that the switches are in the correct possitions?