Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

I once flew with a Captain Germophobe!

We had a long layover in CVG, downtown, got in about 5pm on a Sunday. There's a sports pub a block from our hotel, I say, "Hey, want to go get some grub and watch a football game?"

He says, "Nah...I've got some stuff to do so I'll be in my room..." Now, this was way before laptops and cellphones, so I'm wondering what's he got to do? But I went and ate, watched a game, got a good night's sleep.

The next morning we're in the cockpit preflighting, he reaches into his bag and pulls out a bottle of Lysol or Mr. Clean or somehing...and a rag! Then he procedes to wipe down the yoke, the thrust levers, and every knob, switch, lever and handle. Everything he might touch in the cockpit got a good scrubbing, to include the overhead switches, oh, and of course his oxygen mask. And if you've dealt with the 757 O2 mask, you know what a PITA it is to stow when done, but that didn't slow him down.

I'm getting the ATIS, watching the show, but I don't mention I think he's nutz. Later in cruise I asked, "So, did you see any of that game last night?"

He said, "No, I went next door to Wallgreens and bought the disinfectant, then I cleaned my bathtub..."

No joke.