Thread: Atl ils prm
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Geezer1
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: Left seat CRJ700&900

[QUOTE=Senior Skipper;1288420]I've got a question for those of you who do PRM approaches more frequently than I do.

The last few times I've been to ATL, they were doing PRM approaches, and I tune the monitor frequency as required. What I found unusual is that I'll often hear distracting transmissions on that frequency. I've heard vehicles crossing runways and airplanes under tow being given instructions.

My understanding of the setup is that the monitor frequency is there to protect the NTZ, and that transmissions on that frequency are safety critical to the PRM operation.

Since ATL is the only place I ever seem to get PRM approaches, I'm wondering if this is normal, or it's just an ATL thing?[/QUOTE

Are you sure its the PRM freq? I can understand the tower controller crossing aircraft and possible aircraft under tow on his freq. As I understand it the PRM controller is located at the approach control facility which lot of people may not know is not at the ATL airport. Approach control is actually in Peachtree City(about 20 miles away), so its seem strange they would be controlling ground movements.