Thread: Atl ils prm
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
mooney
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CL-65 captain

Originally Posted by Senior Skipper View Post
I've got a question for those of you who do PRM approaches more frequently than I do.

The last few times I've been to ATL, they were doing PRM approaches, and I tune the monitor frequency as required. What I found unusual is that I'll often hear distracting transmissions on that frequency. I've heard vehicles crossing runways and airplanes under tow being given instructions.

My understanding of the setup is that the monitor frequency is there to protect the NTZ, and that transmissions on that frequency are safety critical to the PRM operation.

Since ATL is the only place I ever seem to get PRM approaches, I'm wondering if this is normal, or it's just an ATL thing?
Skipper I'm with you.....how it's been about a year since I've shot PRM's at ATL, and I have done them at several other airports. I couldn't help but notice how much other chatter there was on the monitor frequency each time I shot a PRM there. Like you said it was to the point of not being able to decipher what either freq was saying. So bad I double checked to make sure we had the right freq in monitor. Never had that problem anywhere else. There were normal transmissions on it for other planes. I actually sent a FSR about it.