View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
robnewman76
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Default Options for being based in Newark?

Hi all...

I will be starting training later this month (November) and all indications are currently pointing to me being based in Newark shortly after the new year.

I've been doing some research into the area and I know a few things about it now, but I still have some worries about it and figured some of you more experienced guys and gals out there might have some real world experience with being based out of Newark Liberty.

Basically, as a new FO, let's be honest, I'll be on reserve for a while and I'll be getting paid just enough to get by so my budget is tight. I'm also unfamiliar with the the area. Here are some thoughts:

1. How viable is it to find an affordable apartment around Newark?

2. Would Crash pads work considering I'll be spending a bit of time on stand by? (I imagine hanging around a crash pad for days on end would end up being a little soul killing )

3. What areas should I avoid?

4. Is pubic transport an affordable/safe option? (if I can get away with not having a car, that would be perfect for my budget)

If anybody can help me answer these questions or even just give some sage advice, I would appreciate it hugely...

Thanks in advance,

Rob