Thread: PFE vs S/O
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 08:22 AM
de727ups
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT

"I know of two magor frieghters (ABX AIR/UPS) that have pfes in the cockpit"

When UPS started, they hired some PFE's from the contract carriers. They got F/O pay. They weren't pilots.

In 92, I believe, the new contract gave them two options. Accept the lower S/O pay scale or become pilots. UPS actually paid for them to get their ratings and take a shot at the upgrade. Some did, I hear, but I've never met one. Some chose to take the paycut and be S/O's.

Anyhow, UPS doesn't really have PFE's anymore, at least in the old sense. We have two types of S/O's. Some new hires, though some new hires go straight to the right seat. Depends on timing and experience within the class. The other is over 60 crewmembers who can't be in a front seat anymore. Most of the UPS guys reaching age 60 take their seniority and longevity to the back seat and become highly paid S/O's.

Anyhow, sorry for the history lesson, but none of the S/O's at UPS are considered PFE's like in the old days. There is no PFE pay scale. There may still be a few of the early day PFE's on the list but I'd bet we haven't hired any PFE's since 88.