View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
sigep_nm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by CubCAPTAIN View Post
Actually it would not be disregarding a placard. The placard uses the word "avoid" and it implies to "avoid" doing this during landing (aka close to the ground). Think about it this way: I doubt the POH would recommend practicing a power off stall on final approach, but there is obviously nothing wrong with practicing power off stalls at a safe altitude. And yes he should go spin an aircraft (not an arrow) with a qualified instructor. People who avoid learning how their aircraft stalls, spins, tail stalls, etc because of safety concerns are actually less safe as pilots. If recovery technique is not a natural instinct, you'll be dead if and when it happens close to the ground.
I am not saying that you shouldnt go practice these things at safe altitudes like you stated. I am however cautioning against doing something that the aircraft has cited as"either prohibited or should be avoided". It's there on a placard for a reason, and that reason is not for you or a new pilot to go and try and figure out. As far as the "whipstall" on base to final that you are speaking of, it is called a cross controlled stall, and has nothing to do with flap settings or changes of relative wing. As far as on stalls and so forth, your focus should be more on the recognition of the impending stall and not so much the recovery, although the recovery is important. The main focus however should be on how detect the oncoming stall so that student never has to recover from an actual one.