Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM
MatchPoint
Rollin'

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: AA Airbus

Originally Posted by rcfd13 View Post
In five months commuting into FAT and out of FAT once a week I got on a brasilia twice and got a seat in the back on Eagle twice. The rest were Eagle/RJ jumpseats or renting a car and driving. Typically I would show up around 10am and there would be 5 other people in uniform waiting for jumpseats, so the most senior person would get the jumpseat each time until it finally got down to me. A bunch of times I got to LAX in the morning and finally got to FAT on the 10pm RJ flight. Twice I had to rent a car with other crew members and drive. Once we flew into Visalia on Lakes and drove from there.

I don't doubt that mainline hub to mainline hub is a hard commute, but FAT definitely isn't easy. It was normal for me to spend 8+ hours sitting around LAX at least once every two weeks. Eventually when I had seniority to hold a different base I switched domiciles and haven't had much of a problem anymore. I don't ever want to go back to FAT if I can avoid it.
I don't doubt you had issues but me thinks you need to improve your commuting skills. I never found FAT to be hard and I ALWAYS made my first choice in and out during my 3.5 YEARS of commuting there, "once a week." I’ve heard of some having to rent cars but that always baffled me. With a little research and the willingness to be flexible I never had any issues. Maybe because it was I bumping more Jr pilots like you. TFAYD.....

Where were you commuting from? Regardless and with all due respect, you need to seek better instruction on commuting.

Last edited by MatchPoint; 11-24-2012 at 01:46 PM.