View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things
Default Step 1- Pull the Chute?

First Australian Cirrus Chute Pull Ends Well

Anyone see this or other articles on the event? Though we can only see a little bit of background, it looks *pretty* flat. If the airplane is within gliding range of the chute, I'd wager you're within---well gliding range.

I have never flown a Cirrus or any other aircraft with a ballistic recovery chute installed, so I don't know first hand what the training is, or what the de facto chute pulling mentality is. I've heard second hand some 'horror' stories about a sort of 'pull the chute and ask questions later' mentality.

I'm not trying to stir up anger on the forums and I'm glad he commanded his aircraft to a safe outcome--but I am genuinely curious as to what other folks on here think and what you have observed.

Finally, to the guy's credit, he did look for other places to land-"an airstrip or country road to set down on," but he also ended up in what seems to be an open field. Also, I find interesting his qoute, "We were on the ground less than a minute after the oil gauge indicated the problem.'' Wow! (my emphasis added to that qoute)