View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM
AirRomsk
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
Exactly.

I have a four year engineering degree (there really isn't a "two year" engineering degree, at least not that is accredited). After graduating, I went to work (as a mechanical engineer) and started paying off my debt and paid cash for flight training. After a few years, I was in a position to make the jump to professional aviation as a pilot.

I've been flying professionally for six years now. While there have been some challenges the past several years with the economy, I've always been employed and have had a couple of different cool flying jobs. I don't have any regrets, I love what I do, and would definitely do it again.

Engineering put me in a great position to start this career, and it's always nice knowing I have a good backup career. I've always been absolutely baffled by people that get a degree in aviation and become professional pilots. It is a terrible plan for risk management.
^^^ Yup, what the man said!
I'm in the same position (minus the aviation job - working on my ratings right now), and it's a pretty darn good feeling to have your student loans knocked out of the way while paying for flight training out of pocket. The engineering degree can put you in a VERY sound financial position until you're ready to transition to the flying career