View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by RunnerMark View Post
Ha ha, I agree with that USMCFLYR, the grass is always greener after all. It's funny though, they say that, but give them six months at ANY regional/freight dog/part 135/charter outfit and they'll be begging to come back. We can all agree the view is pretty spectacular, but so is the long term view of job security and commensurate pay.

The good news for all of them.... they CAN go and fly for fun! Other that "Flight Control" on my iPad I can't control traffic, ha ha.
Well...we are a Part 91/135 outfit , but I understand your point.
Your perspective is geared towards the airline world, whereas they have found aviation jobs involving flying which provides them a better means of stability and QOL in some cases.

I'm curious to this point though for those of you whom have experience with such a break from engineering (or any other technical career field). It is often said that some fields - mostly technical like engineering or IT - are great fall back plans - but I can't help but wonder if you have a degree in said field - but no actual experience - or even years away from a technical career field - if you would still be considered as competitive in a tough job market. I just can't see someone in a web design or code writing field being up to speed on the technical aspects of the industy if they have been out of touch for 5 years as an example.
Thoughts?

USMCFLYR