View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Aero1900
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA

I think that UAVs have served a very real and very helpful function in the military. They are cheaper, more efficient, and in a lot of way more capable than manned fighter jets.

They have the ability to say aloft for very long periods of time. (I am pretty sure some can stay up for around 24 hours)

I do not know the safety record thus far, although with the ever expanding use of them, it must be good enough for the military. However, I do not see the benefits of UAVs in the military benefiting civilian air transportation.

One of the benefits of UAVs in the military is that they do not require the systems to provide a cabin for passenger comfort. No need for a pressurization system or cabin heat, let alone an area for a human. This saves cost, weight, complexity and space of course. This benefit would not help in a civilian application.

Another benefits to UAVs in the military is the ability to fly into hostile areas that you would not want to risk with a human onboard. Or the ability to fly into conditions that would be very dangerous. The loss of a UAV is a much smaller price to pay than the loss of a manned airplane. So again the benefits do not parallel a civilian application.

Now, if FedEx or UPS wanted to fly a drone cargo plane, it might be a little more reasonable. But for passenger flights, I see no benefit.

I am not worried that our airline pilot careers are in danger because of UAVs. My concern would be that eventually there could be a push to single pilot airliners. I don't think this will happen, and if it does, it is still a very long way off. Airbus and Boeing have plans to keep building jets with two crew flight decks for at least the next 20 years. Heck, I believe Boeing has orders for 737-MAX that run into the early 2020s, and the A320NEO must have an equally long backlog. If we are going to see single pilot airliners, it won't be for at least 25 years at the minimum and even that seems like a real stretch.

I think that with the phase out of FE, there could eventually be the possibility of a push to phase out the FO as well. That sure would take care of the looming pilot shortage, huh!?!