View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Flyinhigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by BDGERJMN View Post
Maybe I take a different stance on this one. As a drilling reservist (nearly 11 yrs AD/5 RC) I support increased costs to members for all forms of Tricare and here's why: The current model isnt sustainable when balanced with the cost of keeping end strength and force structure. I wont turn this into a political discussion at all but suffice it to say times have changed and history has clearly shown us that DoD budgets have fallen off measurably after armed conflict. This period is no different.

I for one do not subscribe to the fact that because I signed up and volunteered for the defense of my country that I am entitled to anything more or less than anyone else. Perhap's I'm in the minority, but if I have to pay a bit more in insurance premiums whether I'm on AD/Reserves or a Retiree, so be it, its the cost of doing busines IMHO.
You are missing my point (or maybe I didn't state it very well). In order to get the "free" TRiCare For Life at age 65 you must enroll in MediCare Part B. I just got my notification for 2013 and MediCare Part B will cost me $104.90 per month. Not too bad, all things considered. However, because I have been frugal, saved my money, invested wisely, and am blessed to have a pension along with a military retirement, I will pay an additional $104.90 "surcharge" for MediCare Part B. So, in order to get my "free" TriCare for Life, I must pay $209.80 per month. How would you feel if they told you that TriCare would start charging you a premium based on your outside income above and beyond your reserve rank and pay. Why not? If you have a great airline job or a high paying job in some other field maybe that should be used to compute what you should pay for your TriCare. Pay your fair share.
I guess I could have left at 8 or 9 years, got that airline job and served in a reserve unit and been way better off than I am today. But I decided to stay for 23 years of active service. That was my choice. And one of the deciding factors was the healthcare issue. That was a huge factor.
Again, I have no problem with being forced to pay for something that was promised to me as a "free" benefit. Things change. But when we can spend 6.2 billion dollars on cellphones for people who performed no service and made no sacrifice and then not keep our promise to our vets, I get a little hot under the collar.
There, I feel better now!!