Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Thanks Golden. I do just try to 'pay it forward' on here. This forum was very useful to me in both educating me about the industry and networking. I wish there was more that we could do to help you aboard. Anyone who is willing to put in that much effort would be a welcomed addition I'm sure. I appreciate the support.
Now let's make sure that we are all talking off the same data points here. As far as I know - there seem to be 4 groups of *pilots* for the FAA.
1) Flight Check (to include the recent VFE hires)
2) Technical Center
3) Hangar 6 (our 'corporate' guys)
4) ASIs

I'll agree with rickair as far as the ASIs hiring civilian pilots without massive vet points. It is a way to get your foot in the door for other opportunities and as mentioned in the other thread lately, Flight Check as hired a few former ASIs the last go-around. As for the other 3 FAA flying positions, I have not seen anyone hired into those jobs without the requirements outlined in the other thread and above - either 10 pts preference OR transfer from within Federal service.

rickair - you do know that he meant the Transportation Security Administration when Golden Bear said:

USMCFLYR
Yes, I meant FSDO ASIs, I should have said so.

Yes, I knew he was talking about the smurfs. TSA (the regional airline) wouldn't get you preferential federal hiring.