View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM
horrido27
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: 756 Left Side

Originally Posted by Probe View Post
Can I ask why you perceive that negatively or concessionary? Why would they need to be separate? 757's and 767's actually fly and land quite different. 777 and 787 are FBW so they can be made to fly the same.
It would be concessionary because of what I posted is currently in the CAL CBA.
It would be negative because it's Manpower Negative.

If the company can allow a pilot to fly the 787 today, and then the 777 next week, it means they can utilize that pilot more. It also means that they need less reserves.
Now, let me be the first to say that I am not against the company utilizing Pilots better. But there needs to some sort of compensation for that utilization.

Currently at CAL, we fly the 757-2,-3 & 767-2 and -4 together. Those are really 4 different aircraft!
(It's my understanding) that Delta has a separate category for the 767-4. That requires more pilots (which is a good thing for a Pilot Group) and it also allows for a higher paying aircraft.
They pay their -400er more than their 76-3's and 757's. Again, a win for the pilots.

As far as FBW and having the 787 and 777 fly the same.. I don't know. Hopefully someone who is typed on both can come on here and talk about it. But I'll ask this-
Aren't the 767-400 and 777 cockpits identical? Could they become a common type? Or could the company get permission from the FAA to allow dual type?
(our current Chief Pilot in EWR is typed on both and I believe he flies/remains current in both).

What about the A3xx series aircraft.. can/should that aircraft be common with the A350?

I do believe that at the end of the day, it is a Safety issue.

Motch