View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
kingsnake2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012

As far as I know most (if not all) flight schools do not do in house financing. It is just too complicated and capital intensive to be feasible.

You could probably get an online quote from Wells Fargo, Chase, or the like for a student loan which would likely be applicable to aviation education.

Good part is that student loans are less stringent on credit history, so if you don't have too much debt and a decent job out of college, my guess is that you would be fine. Rates are pretty low right now too.

The medical certificates are good for a number of years (depending on your age) and generally not very expensive so that is worth doing. You will have to get one to start flight training anyway.

My last note would be that if you are looking for money, stay with math. If you're good, it will probably pay better (using the time value of money; ie. 100k/year for 20 years is better than making 60k for 15 years and 200 for 5). Fly because you want to and you love it. In the near term, next 2 years or so, it seems likely that you will be able to get a job at a regional after 1500 hours or so (which can be had as a CFI at a busy school). And you already have your 4 year degree, which you will need to fly for a big airline.