Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 AM
untied
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by proletariatav8r View Post
Can anybody shed light on whether the application filter has been set to ignore any applicants with over 7,000 hours total time? The strategy is that obviously a company can't discriminate by age, but they can then get around that by setting total time limits that essentially accomplished the same thing.

Naturally, anybody who has been in the biz since around 9/11 has found themselves cooling their heels in positions unfathomable at the beginning of their careers, and many of our log books reflect that.

Considering UAL's hiring predilections and practices in the past, this isn't surprising but wanted to throw it out there and see.
I talked to an interview captain back in 1997. He told me that any guy with 10,000 hours obviously wasn't at the majors for a reason. It was disqualifying (in his mind).

I explained to him that hiring had all but stopped in 1990 and many guys had 3,000+ hours (at that time) and had been stuck at the regionals. Flying over 1,000 hours per year, many good guys simply had bad timing.

He was an old crusty dude, and my words didn't mean much to him.

I always wondered how many good pilots we passed up with guys like him involved in the hiring process.

United obviously didn't have any problem hiring MANY high time folks from Eastern and elsewhere.