View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Phantom Flyer
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Wink Save Our Butts, then Our Chute

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
And I believe this as well. It's not that I don't value stick and rudder, but how many pilots can REALLY nail a power-off 180 100 times in a row? And I'm not talking about the same spot, but each time different spot, different conditions, different winds, different aircraft loading etc. If you are truly that good, well you don't need anything, but back in reality, in the situations where you have the CHOICE (so no, I'm not talking about outside of the envelope) it's going to be less risky most of the time and a better "bet" to pull a chute if you have one (or glide to where that's possible). There are few rules that can be applied as "overall", but the whole reason you dead-stick in is because you have no other option and it's the best bet. Now you have a different option. Let's not forget the situations where someone got closer to their intended landing spot, only to notice the powerlines, or striations in the fields, or whatever else wasn't possible 3000' up. You may very well be "committed" at that point.

I think in the land of insurance adjusters, emergency response, and others, they see a successful outcome as more likely if someone pulls the chute.

This should be "what gives me the highest chance of walking away", not "what has the highest chance of saving the aircraft". If the highest chance of walking way HAPPENS to save the aircraft, that's a nice side-benefit, but I'd never endorse that course of action as the primary goal.
Without beating this ol' horse anymore, I'll reiterate that, in my opinion, one takes the course of action that provides the best opportunity for a safe outcome. If there is a place to deadstick the aircraft in; deserted road, field, whatever, I prefer that option. As was previously mentioned, at night in IFR conditions, an entirely different situation and the parachute is probably the only option.

The safety of the pilot and passengers is most important. No question about that. With that said, don't forget that pulling the chute, IF a better option is available, will save the extensive repairs from a chute deployment.again, NOT the primary consideration but a consideration nonetheless.

G'Luck Mates