View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Flaps50
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 FO FDX, C130 ANG

If you're at FedEx don't quit. Life will get even better with seniority. I for one will be working over Xmas, but had ThxG off with vacation and will have only worked one day trip in the past month and a half when I go back. What other job can get you that kind of time off with one week of vacation? The toughest part of being away is maintaining the emotional connection with the folks back home IMO, but the time off isn't the issue overall if you use your off time well and limit the Guard stuff somewhat. If you're commuting to both jobs, I can see where that would be very hard.

I'm not trying to downplay how hard it can be to be away on a 12 day trip, but there are all types of trips and flying at FedEx that you can take advantage of with some seniority that will keep you home a lot more. This is a great career (although not for everyone), and it's very hard to duplicate a FDX career anywhere else IMO.

I know many folks that work 80 hour weeks and make 1/2 what I do and probably are home less hours than I am overall. That's just the reality of the market these days. I could drop down to 8 days of work a month and make what they do... so you have to compare apples to apples. The reality is however, that we all like to maximize our $$ for our time away in this world, but if you can forgo a little $$ then you will have even more time home.

(BTW: My wife may have a different POV, but oh well... Now back to my divorce papers! ;-)

Last edited by Flaps50; 12-16-2012 at 08:57 AM.