Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 AM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Yes, there are a multitude of fixes to a complex problem like education and student loans...But what can we as consumers do?

Maybe we stop spending money at over priced institutions, stop enrolling in majors that have atrocious return on investment, practice a little financial self control and live like a college student not a Kardashian while in college?

A few anecdotes come to mind;

First, the guy who complained how outrageous learning to fly was (at a rather cheap mom and pop flight school by the way), but still *had* to have the crotch rocket bike, nice car, etc...Priorities??

My sister who was warned NOT to get a four year psych degree unless she was ready to get a Masters/Doctorate or knew how she was going to use it....Now she is graduated, can't find a job, mad at the world, and has a bunch of student loan debt.

My best friend who has been attempting a bachelor degree in art for 10 years with NO end in sight, pretty much living off loan money. He's ****ed off at the world and the educational system for bringing him down.

My dad (and others) who proclaim their hatred of Wal Mart for destroying businesses and jobs, but still shop pretty much exclusively at Wal Mart.

Finally, any call in episode of Suzy Ormann.