View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by gardnerjc View Post
Thanks mate! Excellent expression of proper perspective. Guess I needed some of that! And tailwheel flying, I've heard it is quite the challenge I'll definitely be on the lookout for such opportunities. I would assume that the same applies to opportunities to fly in all kinds of weather?
Am I crazy to want to experience the challenge of flying in severe turbulence and storms. It is really something that I want to accomplish, safely though! I guess what I'm trying to say is, that I want to be "good enough" to beat whatever is thrown my way while up there. Or does that ability simply come with more hours and not necessarily the crazy experiences? And thanks again to all of you for helping me get started on the right foot!
The "best" pilot that you mention would try VERY VERY hard to avoid situation like those which you seem to want to find yourself in for the "challenge"

If you are going to speak in aviation terms, you will need to know the definition of such terms as *severe*:
AIM 4-6-4 / 7-1-48
2. Severe Turbulence.
Severe turbulence
causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and/or
attitude usually accompanied by large variations in
indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be momentarily out
of control. Encounters with severe turbulence must
be remedied immediately in any phase of flight.

Severe turbulence may be associated with MWA.
AIM 7-1-39
For obvious reasons of safety, an IFR pilot
must not deviate from the course or altitude or flight
level without a proper ATC clearance. When weather
conditions encountered are so severe that an
immediate deviation is determined to be necessary
and time will not permit approval by ATC, the pilot’s

emergency authority may be exercised.
Does that sound like an environment in which you would purposely fly into "safely"?

Decision Making is one of the aspects of being a good pilot which is very hard to train. Some have it, some do not. Experience (let's say measured in total time) is not always a guarantee of the ability to make smart decisions - especially under stressful conditions.

USMCFLYR