View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 03:41 AM
OrionFE
Old P-3 IFE

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: B744 FO
Angry

Originally Posted by ultradrvr
why does a pfe get paid more than a s/o?? I know of two magor frieghters (ABX AIR/UPS) that have pfes in the cockpit (or as a female UAL pilot told me "crew pit") does the industry place more value on a pfe as opposed to a pilot? Please do not take offense!! My line of thinking is a higher level of training would be worth more pay. A pfe is not a pilot and cannot move to the right/left seat where as a s/o can. If you are a pfe please do not take offense...I ask out of curiosity and lack of knowledge.
A PFE is the system expert (your computer for 2-man cockpits, your guy to grab the fire bottle and fight a fire so you're not another Swiss Air news report). It was designed with the intent to be a person with a maintenance background (A&P lic.) that can fly. They were not pilots. It has since changed to Second Officers who do not have the hours and/or experience to sit the right seat and who do not have any experience in the center seat, but are put there in the mean time. Who would you rather have sitting in the FE seat? Is it a pay scale ego issue?

Professional Flight Engineer