View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 AM
eishinsnsayshin
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: CFI

Yeah, instructing is definitely not for everyone. Hopefully you never end up with an instructor that got "stuck" instructing, because about 50% of the time, the instruction that comes with them isn't very good.

But, I will say this, instructing isn't all bad, and it's not something to dread doing (at least for a little while). You do learn some things as an instructor. Just sitting there and watching landing after landing, or maneuver after maneuver, you can pick up on the tiniest of flaws that you never really paid attention to. You can see your student getting below glide slope almost before it happens; it's weird - but it kind of makes you a better pilot yourself, even though you're not touching the controls. You have to explain the same thing 8 different ways. Is it boring? Damn right it can be boring. But you'll certainly know your stuff, and I think some companies (post-instructing) like to see at least a little of that experience.

I think people get "stuck" instructing because it's typically the first easy way to build hours. This you probably already know, but a lot of people are not willing to go where the jobs are. I had a buddy move down the Myrtle Beach just to tow banners 8 hours a day in a piper cub for an entire summer. "Myrtle sounds great though!". Well he lived in a dump apartment and actually, even working all week and being single, he had to pick up a job at Abercrombie just so he could eat cheap. All day just "buuuuuzzzzzzz"ing up and down the beach at 40 or 50 kts by yourself. Those jobs don't pay well, but he logged somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 hours that summer (it was something pretty outrageous in a short amount of time whatever it was). The time was all local, day time, VFR, single engine, but he was then able to pick up a job with ameriflight flying night cargo in salt lake city - logging night time IFR XC. Now he's in the big king air (same company) flying day flights and living very reasonably. But you have to be able to have that flexibility (for a few years at least), and a lot of people don't so they instruct. I'll had that this friend of mine did instruct for a very short amount of time at his college airport after graduating before he decided he hated it...but he gave it a shot.

So there are other options out there (jump pilot, surveying for companies, night cargo, etc..) but I hear they can be pretty rough. I just encourage you to try to no get too frustrated and stay very flexible early in your career. It's not like all those airline captains out there were flight instructors...