View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by eishinsnsayshin View Post
Yeah, instructing is definitely not for everyone. Hopefully you never end up with an instructor that got "stuck" instructing, because about 50% of the time, the instruction that comes with them isn't very good.
It may not be "for everyone" but anybody starting out in this career should plan on doing it.

1) It's usually the most readily available time-building job.
2) CFI time is slightly preferred by regionals compared to non-IFR operations like banner tow, skydive, etc.
3) It helps to really solidify your aviation knowledge. Regional interviews are geared towards current CFI's, if you're just burning holes in the sky you'll need to dust off all that knowledge (especially instrument ops).

But, I will say this, instructing isn't all bad, and it's not something to dread doing (at least for a little while). You do learn some things as an instructor. Just sitting there and watching landing after landing, or maneuver after maneuver, you can pick up on the tiniest of flaws that you never really paid attention to.
It can definitely be fun for a while.

So there are other options out there (jump pilot, surveying for companies, night cargo, etc..) but I hear they can be pretty rough. I just encourage you to try to no get too frustrated and stay very flexible early in your career. It's not like all those airline captains out there were flight instructors...
The two folks I know who were adamantly opposed to flight instruction both dropped out of avaition after they couldn't get work or enough work they liked with a wet commercial. There are other options, but they are usually harder to come by than CFI jobs.

Most airline captains were CFIs or military pilots.