View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Waitingformins View Post
I think everybody is in agreement that the 300 hour FO is done. The only controversy that remains is the “restricted ATP” for 141 BS grads and military guys. It doesn’t seem like many people think that a 1000 or 750 hour “restricted ATP” holder would be unsafe, they just think it’s unfair. To that you have to look at the minimum standard.
The worst military guy with 750TT is at specified standard. The worst 1000 hour 141 BS grad is at a specified standard. Remember the rule always applies to the worst quality pilot who meets the minimums. What standard is the country’s worst part 61 commercial pilot at with either 1000 or 750 hours? I do think that many pilots from the big professional pilot development “part 61 schools” are completely qualified at 750 or 1000 hours, but how can the FAA distinguish just you. They can only distinguish program you participated in, which is still unaccredited part 61 program. This means you’re in the same boat as the worst pilot that went to the worst FBO for training. Remember you don’t even have to have a high school degree to get an ATP. All professional fields maintain a minimum standard. If you were having surgery would you want a doctor from a medical university, military doctor, or someone who’s professional education is irrelevant because he passed the board exam?
This “restricted ATP” debate is the same old debate of airline flying being a skilled labor or a profession. The big difference is minimum standard. This is why the major’s trend to hire prior 121 drivers instead of 91 or 135 guys, minimum standards or standardized training. The reason some majors prefer to hire from certain regionals over others is minimum standard. It has nothing to do with a particular pilot’s ability that is where the actual test or interview comes in. If you are a sorry military pilot or a 141 BS grad, than you will receive a notice of disapproval at 750 or 1000 hours when you take your ATP. I think the restricted ATP minimums should go into effect with the contingency that if you do fail you must adhere to the general part 61 requirements to retest, because you have demonstrated that you are not up to the minimum standard for which you received reduced minimums.

I'm all for it for military, but not for 141.

Ultimately even in 141 skill, ability, and work ethic takes a back seat to money...if you can keep paying, you can keep training, at least up to a point.

US military training is about as pure as it gets...you can't buy extra training there.