View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM
wessidemike
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Default Needing a little career advice

I've been doing some soul searching lately, which has led me to consider going back to flight school.

I am 31 Years old. I stopped flying about 6 years ago, and have regretted it ever since. I have a SEL Commercial License, but have not flown in years. I made it all the way to my CFI checkride, didn't pass, and have not flown since. I miss it. I have close to 300hr but I am not current. I'm not even really sure where I stand with regards to getting my pilots license back.

My immaturity during that period of time led me to drop aviation as a career for reasons that are still difficult to admit aloud. My love for aviation then took me to ATC school, coupled with my flight experience allowed me to graduate in 6 months at the top of my class. I was offered a job in Denver Center, but declined due to the non-contract that ATC was going through at the time, (they took a 30 percent paycut right after I graduated) A and B pay scales ETC...

I then went to business school, graduated SDSU in 2011 with a B.S in Business Administration - Marketing with a cumulative 3.02 GPA. I am currently seeing work in that field, but honestly I don't feel passionate about it, and jobs are scarce.

Here are my questions.

Am I too old to take up flying again as a serious career path, or has this lapse in time cost me too much?

What would you guess I am looking at in terms of costs to get back to where i left off. (I made it through my ratings pretty close to FAA minimums and I consider myself to be a pretty good pilot).

What is the current outlook for CFI's in terms of building hours?

Last question, what is the outlook for hiring by regionals over the next few years (or span of time it should take to build enough hour to be hirable)?

So what do you guys think is realistic under these circumstances in terms of getting back into aviation?

My current situation is, I have a job now that affords me fairly flexible schedules (espeically during the day) pays about 50k a year, I have no debt, and I have quite a bit of money in savings. There are no career advancement opportunities with my current job.